In India lemon and green chillies are often tied on the doorways of houses, shops, offices and even underneath cars. It is a common sight and it is thought to keep homes and businesses safe from evil spirits as well as bringing good luck. Usually it is changed every week, commonly on a Saturday.
HOW TO MAKE
- Take 7 green chillies and one yellow lemon.
- Take a needle and some black thread and tie a big knot at the end.
- Pierce it through the lemon first and then the 7 green chillies.
- This is now ready to be tied at the entrance of your home, garden shed, office space or your car.
- Make sure it does not interfere with opening your door or the movements of tall people as this can be ever so unlucky!
At The Block Hut we have a Nazar Battu dangling above the office door – we certainly want good luck and zero evil spirits whilst starting our new venture!